Friday, September 30, 2011

Liar! Liar! Your Pants Are On Fire!


                                There's the view, from my window, of apartments adjacent my building.

Now picture this! Monday night. I set the alarm on my cell (or mobile, as the English like to call it) phone to rouse me from my sweet slumber at 6 a.m. the next morning. It promptly did! I rolled over, looked out of the window (yes the same window in the picture), and said hey! Mr. Sun hasn't woken up yet, so why should I???? And before I knew it, Mr. Sandman was right there beside my bed with his fist full of magical sand waiting ever so patiently to shower it all over my eyes. I smiled at him, and the next moment I drifted off in to a dreamless snooze (but not before I snooz'ed' my alarm, too). I am sure I didn't snore, cause my flatmates would certainly have heard me! Life's difficult with paper thin walls; you have to make sure you don't burp from the wrong end, at least not loudly (not even in the loo!!)!

A few minutes (which was precisely an hour later), I woke up yet again, only to fall asleep once more! Ah! Bliss! Silence! And then off it went, the smoke alarm!!!! Goodness me! I jumped out of bed wondering how to turn it off, and thinking what could have triggered it. Then I heard voices in the corridor - my flatmates! I dashed to the door, too ashamed to step out of my room in my nightie (May, Jan and Carm, you know those gulf gowns), and then I realised the smoke alarms in all their rooms and in the corridor were screeching so loudly, too! 'What the hell's happening?' (Pardon me Fathers, if you are going to read this. Please skip that word!) I asked my roommate???  'Oh! the fire drill! Don't forget to bring your key card when you come downstairs' she said and disappeared out of the door.. Downstairs?????? I hastily shut the door, pulled on my track pants, wore my top with cartoon pictures on it and a pullover (after removing the above-mentioned nightie of course), slipped my feet into my bathroom slippers and ran downstairs, dishevelled hair, bad breath and all (all the time praying I wouldn't meet my future husband downstairs!). On the way I saw guys from the building running out of the rooms, like their behinds were on fire, struggling to get into their shirts, and with nothing on their feet! :D..... I walked down and out of the building with heavy eyelids (remember I was fast asleep just a minute ago!?), and joined a long line of Postgraduates and Researchers (on the road in the picture above), all with unkempt hair, and equally bad breath I guess! We all stood there in the cold, fifty something of us, some looking so sleepy, while some early birds looked crisp and ready to face that beautiful morning, and the roll call! A few other smart alecks decided the fire (thank God there was no fire, else they would have been roasted alive) could wait while they brushed their teeth and put on 'decent' clothes and made themselves presentable enough to join the long line of 'evacuees'!

Anyway, it was all much ado about nothing! They made sure we all got out 'safely' from the danger zone, unscathed, and not smelling good! And then the show was over.... We all sauntered back to our rooms, now wide awake and ready to face the day (but not before showering and brushing teeth and ..... Well, not particularly in that order!):)!!!!!







That's my bed and duvet (which feels like a nice, warm hug!). Now you know why it's difficult to spring out of bed every morning and sing 'Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey It's a Beautiful Day!' like Katrine Falkner....


The shared kitchen


The shared kitchen



The shared kitchen


 David Russell Apartments. This is the road I walk to go to my classes.


The Apartments again.





6 comments:

  1. Goodness, what was the drill for???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also time to buy new night gowns sista!!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will have one again next semester it seems :D..... The nightgown is in perfect condition.... U know those one piece kinds with a big picture on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your apartment is very pretty....:) Want me to come over and tidy up your study table?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok.... But it doesn't stay the same for long :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! great apartment. u sure r living it up. can i join u?u sure know how to spice things up. an ordinary incident reported so fab.superb.u r 2 gud. had fun reading it. sure am envying yu. here poor little me poring over answer scripts. its like someone put a spell on it.and its supposed to be my vacation..

    ReplyDelete